REALTOR® News and Views
The decision to sell your home is a big one, and hiring a REALTOR® to navigate the process is a step in the right direction and can save you both time and money. According to the National Association of REALTORS®, the median selling price of an open-market for-sale-by-owner home in 2012 was $191,600, while the median price for agent-assisted sales was $215,000*. Here are a few things you can expect from your REALTOR® as they work to expedite your sale:
· Market Analysis and pricing Proper pricing is key to selling your property in the fastest amount of time possible and for the highest dollar. REALTORS® know the local market and trends, and have access to the latest statistics and sales, which they will analyze to come up with a list price that will get your home sold.
· Preparing your home for sale REALTORS® know what appeals to buyers, and can help guide you through the process to get your home in show condition and highlight the best features of your home –from rearranging rooms to paint color and curb appeal.
· Marketing In order to sell your home, you need to get buyers in the door, and a properly executed marketing plan is key. REALTORS® have access to the Multiple Listing System, as well as a multitude of other web sites that your listing will appear on. Be it an open house, internet or print advertising, MLS, or word of mouth, REALTORS® know how to expose your property to the broadest audience of buyers possible.
· Showings Selling a home is a full-time job, and your REALTOR® will set up all showings and make sure buyers are qualified and evaluated before allowing them into your home.
· Negotiating on your behalf Don’t underestimate the importance of having a strong negotiator on your side. Negotiating a contract is not all about price, and an experienced REALTOR® knows what to look for in an offer and what pitfalls to avoid.
· Navigating the process Your REALTOR® will walk you through the steps from listing to closing, including the required disclosures, inspections, appraisals and title work, to ensure the process is smooth as possible getting to the closing table.
A lot of factors go into a successful home sale. Having a REALTOR® on your side can not only net more money, but can make the difference between a smooth deal and one that never gets to the closing table.
Brought to you by the Greater Portland Board of REALTORS® Article submitted by Heather Horlor,REALTOR®* 2012 NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers: